Symptoms of Cavities in Children
When a cavity first presents, it may have no symptoms at all. This is one reason why regular dental visits are important. Your dentist can detect cavities early, and if small enough, they can be reversed. Once a cavity grows, your child may begin to experience symptoms.
Symptoms of cavities include:
- Tooth sensitivity (usually to hot, cold, or sweets)
- Pain when biting down
- White, brown, or black spots on the tooth (white spots usually appear first)
- Visible pit or hole in the tooth
Untreated cavities can result in:
- Chewing difficulty
- Infection of teeth and gums
- Tooth abscess (pus around tooth caused by an infection)
- Tooth loss
Diagnosing Cavities in Children
Cavities are typically easy to identify during a routine dental check-up. Visiting your dentist before any symptoms arise will aid in early detection.
Preventing Cavities in Children
The best treatment for a cavity is preventing it. Teaching your child good oral hygiene habits is the best way to ensure long-lasting dental health. Parents should assist children with teeth brushing until they become proficient at cleaning teeth thoroughly. Making it a fun time together and building great family dental habits will encourage your child to brush often.
Tips to Prevent Cavities in Children
- Brush teeth at least twice a day
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste: Your dentist will instruct you on safe amounts for younger children.
- Use floss teeth daily to remove plaque in between teeth: Fun character flossers are available for children.
- Drink tap water: Most water supplies contain fluoride which strengthens teeth.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks
- Avoid all-day sipping and frequent snacking
- Eat a healthy diet: Fruits and vegetables actually increase saliva flow which helps wash away bacteria.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Dental check-ups are recommended twice a year, starting at the first birthday or upon tooth eruption.
To find out more, Contact Smile Dental Centre, and ask about our SmartStart program.
The Smile Dental Centre offers a full range of dental services backed by outstanding patient care for children and adults. The Smile Dental Centre won the Consumer Choice Award five years in a row (2013 – 2017) for general and cosmetic dentistry in the London, ON region. Now that’s something to smile about!